PhD Program - Medical Research in Epidemiology & Public Health
The PhD program begins once a year in the Winter Semester (October). The call for Winter Semester 2017/2018 is passed. The next call for applications for the Winter Semester 2018/19 semester will begin in December 2017 and the application deadline is January 31st, 2018.
- Master degree or equivalent in public health, epidemiology, medicine, pharmacy, natural sciences, psychology, social sciences, statistics, economics, sport sciences, law, communication science or other relevant field (to be obtained not later than 5 months after the application deadline).
- Very good academic record.
- Proficiency in English (written and oral).
- Good mathematical and statistical skills.
You can apply to the program using our application tool which is open only during the recruitment time. To start the application procedure you have to register here. Once your account is created please follow the instructions in the tool and fill in all necessary information and upload all required documents (as unencrypted pdf or jpg files, max. size - 5 MB). You can log in to the tool as many times as you want to edit your application. Do not forget to press the ‘Submit’ button when your application is completed. Please note, that after submission you will not be able to introduce any changes. It is possible (and recommended) to submit your application even if your recommendation letters have not arrived.
You will need to provide the following:
- Europass Curriculum Vitae
- High School Certificate
- Transcripts of records of your academic education
- Certificates of your degrees (MSc, BSc, etc.)
- English language certificate (TOEFL or equivalents- not required if you are a native speaker or if your education was in English)
- Motivation letter specifying the area of your research interest (max. 3000 characters)
- A summary of your research proposal (max. 2500 characters)
- A suggested supervisor from the LMU Faculty of Medicine
- Full research proposal if available (proposed format)
- Contact details of two academic referees (you should contact your referees before you enter their email addresses into the system)
All documents have to be provided in English (translations of original documents need to be certified). The transcripts of records and degree certificates in German do not need to be translated. If you hold a degree from a non-German university, please check its eligibility using the following instructions.
The admission to the program is carried out as the centralized two-step procedure: evaluation of applications and personal interviews.
After the application deadline on January 31st, 2018, all submitted and complete applications will evaluated by the program coordinator and at least two professors with respect to the fulfillment of the requirements' as well as the suitability of the candidate and proposed project in the scope of the program.
In the second step, positively evaluated candidates will be invited to an interview (either in personal or via Skype) where the applicants have the opportunity to present their previous research experience and to discuss the PhD project proposal with a potential supervisor in more detail. Offers to join the program are made within a week from the interview.
Students who accept the offer should enrol as graduate students at the LMU and join the program in October 2018.